Follow by Email

Thursday, May 15, 2014

My First Dog

Of course growing up on the farm we had many dogs over the years. While I don't really remember the very first dog my parents had when I was a toddler, my mom has told me stories about it. The dog was a German Shepherd and every time I went outside the dog would jump up on me and knock me down. Maybe that's why I now prefer small dogs, I feel like I can better control them. 
When I was about 3 years old we got a Border Collie puppy. His name was Mickey and he quickly became my best friend. Mickey and I grew up together. While I don't have any photos of the real Mickey, he looked a lot like the photo here. 

Mickey was so smart, he quickly learned lots of tricks like sit, stay, lie down, play dead, shake hands. You only had to show him a couple of times and he seemed to know instinctively what to do. Naturally, he was great at herding our cows and bringing them in at milking time. 

I spent many hours during my childhood hanging out with Mickey and telling him my deepest, darkest secrets. He was a great listener....as most dogs are! No wonder they are called "man's best friend."

When I was 14 my parents sold the farm, bought a bar and moved us to town. My dad said Mickey couldn't come with us because he was used to living on the farm. I was so sad that my best buddy couldn't come with us, but at the same time I understood that Mickey was used to running free and he couldn't do that in town. So Mickey went to live out his days on a neighbor's farm. But even though that was almost 60 years ago, I will never forget Mickey, my first best friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment