Follow by Email

Tuesday, May 13, 2014

My Little Loves

More than any other animal, I have loved dogs all of my life. Of course, growing up on a farm there were many animals that I loved`including cows, especially black and white Holsteins, pigs, goats, and horses. 

The little guy pictured here is one of my two current little loves, Chuey. He is a 6-year-old chihuahua and Jack Russell terrier mix, (at least that is what the vet says). All I know for sure is that his momma was a tan chihuahua. Dad could have been any roaming Casanova from the old neighborhood. I adopted him when he was about two months old. We quickly bonded and now he is definitely a mama's boy. Most people when they hear what kind of dog he is, will say, "Oh he must be so hyper." But he is not at all. He is sweet and calm. He only wants to be near his favorite person (me), and if I want to sit and watch TV all day, he is fine with that. If I want to take a nap, he is right there snuggling under the covers. If I want to take a long walk, then he is ready for that too. 

My husband, Josh, was a truck driver and whenever he would return home from a trip, Chuey was the first one at the door to greet him with kisses and hugs. One of Chuey's favorite commands is to give hugs. When I say, "Momma wants a Chuey hug," he jumps up on my lap, wraps his paws around my neck and snuggles. 

Josh passed away from cancer in August 2012. He spent his last days at home under hospice care. All during that time, Chuey rarely left Josh's lap. I think dogs have a special instinct for those things. In fact, the day that Josh passed Chuey never left his lap all day. Amazing! 

Since then, Chuey has helped ease my loneliness and grief so much by his sweet presence.
 Chuey loves his walks. Because he gets cold easily, he wears his jacket whenever it is chilly out. No, he is not spoiled much! 

He does get into mischief at times. He has a particular fondness for digging through the trash and finding paper to shred and scatter. So now whenever I must leave him at home, he has to go into his kennel, which he absolutely hates. As soon as he know it's "kennel time," he runs into the bedroom and tries to hide under the pillow. Even though his little bottom is sticking out, apparently he thinks if mom can't see him, then he is hidden and won't have to into the dreaded kennel. It never fails to crack me up!
When we first adopted Chuey he became the little brother to our 10-year-old Schnauzer, Cosmo. At first there was a lot of jealousy, but they eventually bonded. Sadly, about 18 months later Cosmo died. Chuey was lonely after that, but he and I gave each other comfort. Then a year ago I adopted another Schnauzer, Cash (pictured here). 

Chuey and Cash have become best pals and they play together constantly. They will curl up and snooze together. Now I feel like my doggy family is complete again. 

I call these two guys my "personal trainers," because they make sure I get outside to take long walks and get plenty of exercise every day. 

I have had plenty of different pets over the years, and each one has had such a unique, individual personality. 

I hope to share more pet stories over the weeks to come. I'd also love to hear from you all about your special friends too, so please don't hesitate to share your story.


No comments:

Post a Comment