Follow by Email

Sunday, June 15, 2014

Bee Stings and Painting


Okay, so it's been awhile since I've posted anything to this blog. I had good intentions of writing something at least once a week, but I was put out of commission for awhile due to one of these nasty little critters. 

A little over a week ago while I was working my job as a caregiver, the sweet little old lady in my care asked me to go outside to the newspaper vending machine around the corner to get her a newspaper. Simple task, I've done it many times before. But this time on my way back I was suddenly stung on the neck by what I believe was a bee. It hurt like crazy, so I put some ice on it and took an antihistamine tablet. I figured that would take care of it.

The next day when I got up the site of the sting was red and swollen, but it was tolerable. However, the second day after the "attack" it was swollen to the size of a golf ball, red, with a rash spreading across my neck and chest. It continued to swell until it felt like my throat was getting tight. My son and daughter-in-law insisted I go to the ER, so he drove me there. One look at me in triage and they rushed me back to a room, gave me a shot and continued to observe me for a couple of hours. The shot was like a miracle and the swelling started going down and I soon started feeling much better. I was discharged with a prescription for an antibiotic, Benadryl, and an Epi-Pen. 

It took about a week before I really started feeling like doing much of anything again, and that is why I haven't blogged for awhile. 

Like me, you probably thought that if you are allergic to bee stings, you would have a sudden a violent reaction, and most people do, but now I know that you can also have a delayed reaction, like I did. But the doctor also told me that since I did have an allergic reaction, if I should get stung again the reaction would likely be much worse the next time. Hence, that's why I now carry an Epi-Pen. If I get stung again, I will have to give myself a shot in the thigh. Sounds like fun, huh? I hope I never have to use it, but it's good to know I have the Epi-Pen just in case. 

So while recovering from the bee attack, as well as my last visit to the dentist (see my previous post), I have been "busy as a bee" painting. I don't claim to be a great artist, but I thoroughly enjoy painting. It's amazing how when you are immersed in the creative process, time flies and you get caught up in the moment. And since everyone's taste in art is different, I figured what the heck, maybe someone out there would appreciate my art. Besides, I am accumulating more paintings than I know what to do with, so if you are interested in purchasing an original, OOAK work of art, you can find my paintings here. All are original works done by me in acrylic paint, most of them are on canvas. So please feel free to check it out. 

Here is a soft-focus landscape that I just completed. 

I have also started doing some dog portraits, such as these.


That's all for now. If you have stumbled upon this blog, I would love to hear from you with any questions or comments you might have. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment